Chamomile, a daisy-like plant of the Asteraceae family, has been used for centuries for its vast health and healing benefits. Today it is used across the globe and only continues to amaze for its medicinal properties. Although there are a number of species, German Chamomile and Roman Chamomile tend to be the most sought after in the chamomile family. Chamomile is commonly used in the western part of the world in teas to help settle the stomach and aid in sleep, yet there are so many reasons to love chamomile that some may not fully grasp the scope of this flowering plant’s wonders. Read on for all of the amazing benefits of chamomile…
The Amazing Benefits of Chamomile
- Heals common skin conditions — Helps to treat eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis and helps to heal damaged skin tissue.
- Reduces inflammation
- Reduces fevers
- Soothes the digestive system — Can help to alleviate gas, diarrhea, indigestion, nausea, vomiting, and motion sickness, and also protects against ulcers
- Helps to flush out toxins by inducing perspiration
- Fights allergens and infections — Anti-parasitic, anti-microbial, antibacterial, anti-fungal
- Alleviates muscle spasms
- Acts as a pain reliever — Alleviates pain from sore muscles, arthritis, headaches and migraines, as well as eases colic and teething pain in babies
- Can help to manage diabetes and regulate blood sugar
- Acts as a sedative — Calms nerves, reduces anxiety and treats hysteria, nightmares, insomnia, and other sleep problems
- Prevents cell damage (from antioxidants)
- Stops the growth of and destroys human cancer cells
It should be noted that German Chamomile is known to be better suited for external uses while Roman chamomile is better suited for internal uses.
How do you use chamomile? Comment below, we’d love to hear!
A special thank you to Cara Cooperman for her knowledge, her love of chamomile, and for her inspiration! Studying to be a herbalist, and like us, she is a believer in using what nature has to offer, rather than pharmaceuticals when it comes to health and healing. Learn more about Cara here and browse her website for tons of articles about natural and healthy living!