Shaving is frustrating. Let’s be honest: the bumps, nicks, scars, ingrown hairs…the dry skin and irritation…it just doesn’t seem worth it! Not to mention, shaving cream is expensive, full of chemicals, runs out fast and doesn’t seem to help much with any of that irritation. Ridiculous, right?! We’ve got the solution! DIY Shaving Cream. Yup, making your own shaving cream will not only save you money, but will keep your legs baby soft and irritation-free! (Um, did I mention baby soft legs?!).
This recipe is super easy and only requires 3 ingredients: Shea Butter, Coconut Oil and Peppermint Oil. (Three ingredients that are easy to pronounce! Woo!) Feel free to use any essential oil of your choice. The peppermint oil will give you that fresh, tingly feeling, but any EO will do!
How to make this DIY Shaving Cream
- 3 tbsp Shea Butter
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3-4 drops Peppermint Oil
In a metal bowl, combine the Shea Butter, Coconut Oil and Peppermint Oil. Place the metal bowl in a pot with simmering water. The Shea Butter and Coconut Oil will slowly melt. Be sure to keep your eye on the boiling water (just so it doesn’t boil over!).
Once everything is melted, carefully remove the metal bowl from the pot (it will be hot!). Using a spoon, make sure all of the ingredients are combined.
Place the melted mixture in the freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes. Once it appears hardened, begin to whisk the mixture by hand or with an electric mixer. Whisk the ingredients until it appears light and fluffy, almost like whipped cream. Once mixed, the shaving cream is ready for use!
- Since the shaving cream will be oily, a bowl of warm, soapy water will come in handy. Use the soapy water to rinse your razor after each shave.
- Using soap and water, wash off your legs after shaving. The soap helps to wash away the shaved hair.
- The bathtub will be slippery so be sure to rinse the tub after you’re done.
- This mixture will make enough for about 1 shaving cycle (legs, armpits, etc.)
- I wouldn’t suggest storing any left over cream since this mixture doesn’t contain any preservatives. Feel free to use the remaining mix as a body moisturizer after your shower.
Peace, Love & Coconuts!