So you’re having some trouble going huh?..Well before you reach for those laxatives, there are some things you should know.
The Dangers of Laxatives:
- Your body builds up a tolerance to laxatives so you’ll end up needing increasingly more in order to have the same effect.
- They dehydrate you, throwing off your sodium/potassium balance which can be very dangerous for your heart. The sodium/potassium balance is what keeps you heart beating.
- The dehydration can also bring a whole slew of other complications but the most ironic of them all is that dehydration worsens constipation.
- Laxatives can also weaken the muscles in your intestines, disrupting your bodies natural peristalsis, which are the series of muscle contractions and relaxation which moves food/feces through the intestines. With this, you can completely lose this function altogether, with no ability to control your bowel.
So how can you relieve your constipation or improve your regularity, without resorting to laxatives?
Below are some natural remedies that will help get the poo-poo train back on track! (get it?? 😀 )
- Water: Drink a lot of water (there’s something we haven’t heard before..
- Exercise: The movements from physical activity helps your body’s digestive system move things along the tract.
- Diet: Be sure you cut down on constipating foods like white breads and other simple starches, dairy (including cheese), and meats. Also, make sure to eat enough fiber (about 25g for women; 35g for men, less for men and women over 50).
- Try the following foods to help get you going:
- Prune Juice
- Cayenne Pepper
- Dark Green Leafy Vegetables
- Aloe Vera Juice
- Probiotic Supplements