was successfully added to your cart.

Coffee Face Mask

By April 8, 2013Home, Skin Care
coffee face mask

It’s official. I have a new, favorite face mask! While making coffee, I decided to make use of the coffee grounds that we typically trash after making a fresh brew. When applied topically, caffeinated coffee has so many amazing health benefits for our skin.

Some of the incredible benefits of topical application of caffeinated coffee to skin:

• UV Protection from sun rays that may cause skin cancer
  • Full of antioxidants that fight the free radicals in skin cells
  • Works as a vasoconstrictor (constricts blood cells) which firms and tightens complexion
  • Diminish dark under eye circles, reduces blood buildup under eyes
  • Reduces redness/inflammation of skin
  • Exfoliate dead skin cells
  • Anti-aging properties
  • Tightens fines lines (may reduce appearance of cellulite) by moving fluid out of cells
  • Anti-carcinogenic benefits

To make this amazing coffee face mask you’ll need 3 simple ingredients:

-Coffee
-Milk
-Honey

Mix the coffee grounds, milk, and honey until a thick paste forms. I didn’t exactly measure the ingredients but added enough of each until it reached the desired consistency. Apply the coffee paste to a freshly washed face and allow to sit for however long you desire (20 minutes or so should be enough time). I left mine on for about 2 hours (I am easily distracted, plus I forgot I had the mask on!). Then, simply rinse the mask off with cool water and pat skin dry. The mask rinses off very easily and does not leave any brown discoloration, but you may smell a bit like coffee!

I loved the results I had with this mask. My skin instantly looked and felt refreshed and calm.  I did not experience any irritation whatsoever. I can’t wait to add this mask to my weekly routine!

Peace, Love & Coconuts (& Coffee)

-Zeena

hibiscus cleansing grains

Join the discussion 15 Comments

• Sue says:

does it feel crunchy to apply?

• Brown & Coconut says:

It definitely feels a bit crunchy. Depending on how much exfoliation you want you may need to pack on more. You could get the benefits of the caffeine by just using the juice from the bottom of the bowl!

• Leilany says:

How often do you apply it?

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Leilany! I would suggest applying the mask 1-2 times per week, depending on your preference. If you wear facial masks every week, simply add this mask into your routine and switch off weekly.

• Ashley says:

I wonder if I can also apply on thighs and tummy?

• Samina says:

I was wondering, would the mask work if I use instant coffee instead of coffee grounds? Because I dont have any with me at the moment.

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Samina,

Great Question! Instant coffee has lower levels of caffeine and antioxidants, so in using instant coffee, you won’t necessarily receive the same benefits as you would with regular coffee grounds. With that being said, instant coffee does still have some caffeine and antioxidants so you can certainly still benefit. I will add that their is some concern as to whether or not instant coffee has negative effects on our bodies when consumed and there is certainly a chance those negative effects can result from applying instant coffee to the skin, however the claims have not been confirmed one way or the other and more studies need to be done. Hope this helps!

Letisha

• Jes says:

Hi! I’m curious if the recipe calls for fresh coffee grounds or used?

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Jes! Either fresh or used coffee grounds will work. I prefer using the cooled grounds after making a fresh cup of coffee. 🙂

• Nki says:

can you do almond milk?

• Brown & Coconut says:

Great question! Traditional milk contains lactic acid which makes it great for breaking up dead skin cells. Almond milk does not and can often contain a lot of additives. You could certainly use it at your liquid for this scrub, but it won’t have the same effect. Hope this helps!

• Vivianna says:

Amazing face mask! My skin is baby butt soft! Loved it!!!!!