One of the most common hair issues folks deal with is breakage. You may be trying to grow your hair out or even just keep it at the same length, but for some gosh darn reason your hair is getting shorter and shorter.
Let’s talk about what causes breakage…
There are 2 types of sources: internal and external
- Nutritional deficiencies in the following vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids can significantly contribute to breakage:
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin E
- Omega 3
- Omega 6
- Stress and medical conditions could be potential sources as well.
- Dry hair: Weather (aka cold temperatures) and products containing alcohol and sulfates can significantly dry your hair out.
- Over-processed: Using relaxers, hair dyes, and straighteners can put significant stress on hair follicles and can make the hair shaft more prone to breakage because it lifts the hair cuticle.
- Overworked: Hairstyles and constant physical manipulation can literally pull the hair shaft a part. Typical culprits are braiding, weaves, daily manipulation with hands, and hair wrapping.
How to STOP or reduce breakage:
Make sure you are eating a well balanced diet and if necessary, consider taking a nutritional supplement after consulting with your doctor.
Stop using products that contain alcohol and sulfates. There is a growing market for shampoos that do not contain such harsh ingredients, but still do a great job of cleansing your hair and scalp.
- Desert Essence
- Avalon Organics
- Kinky Curly
- Beautiful Curls
- Aubrey Organics
This may be a new opportunity for you to rethink your hair. Perhaps give your hair and scalp some time off from braids, weaves, and straightening. As an alternative, try opting for a protective style such as a bun, or gentle, loose twists. You could also just do a “wash n’ go.” A wash n’ go consists of just washing your hair, put in the styling products and let air dry (try not to touch!)
- Try an apple cider vinegar rinse after you condition your hair in order to seal the hair cuticle and increase shine.
- Use more oils in your hair care regimen.
- Deep condition with coconut and olive oil
- After you style, seal the ends of your hair with a little bit of coconut oil
Hair breakage can be annoying and upsetting but try not stress about it, as that will probably only make it worse. Take your time in finding out the cause and working out potential solutions. Now take a deep breath and remember,
Peace, Love & Coconuts!