When Coconut Oil first came into my life, it was love at first sight. It was everything I had been looking for in a moisturizer: that light, creamy texture, the deep moisturization and of course the ever-so-yummy tropical scent. Okay, this is beginning to sound like a Coconut Oil Singles advertisement. Not to make this sound too much like a dating commercial, but finding the right moisturizer is a tricky process. It can’t be too sticky, too fragrant, too heavy, too oily, too irritating or too glittery. Wait, I take that back—glittery is okay in my book. (cue elementary school flashbacks). Did anyone else think glitter lotion/spray was the best thing in the world?
Any who, not only is Coconut Oil the Goddess of all oils, it also happens to be pretty darn fabulous at what it does. The moisture from Coconut Oil is unlike any I’ve experienced from traditional moisturizers. With its quick absorption and unparalleled layer of protection, it’s a pretty amazing oil. Let’s not forget that Coconut Oil is free of harsh, irritating chemicals. Woo-Hoo! Say helllooo to irritation-free skin!
Over the past few years, my Coconut Oil technique has changed (Is that even a real thing? Now it is!) Applying the oil right after your shower is best—while your skin is still hydrated and damp. I’ve learned that the Coconut Oil is easier to apply and absorbs super quick while you’re still wet. Now, now, now, I’d advise against lathering up and throwing on that silk gown you’ve been itching to wear for weeks. Coconut Oil will certainly moisturize that gown, too! I’d recommend giving the Coconut Oil some time to work its magic. Allow your skin to soak up all of its magical goodness before putting on your clothes. Use that time to do some yoga or build a bird house, whatever you fancy.
Of course, the same moisturizers do not work for all skin types, but it is certainly fun to find out what works best for your skin. Some people may think Coconut Oil was the absolutely worst thing they’ve ever put on their body and that is okay. Everyones skin is different and requires a different type of love.
How do I love thee, Coconut Oil? Let me count the ways:
1. Moisturization: Coconut Oil is incredible when it comes to moisturizing dry, cracked skin. It leaves the skin feeling supple and smooth, without any sticky residue.
2. Bang for Your Buck: Globs of moisturizer need not apply. When using Coconut Oil, a little bit goes a long way. Before you know it, your whole body will be lathered in tropical goodness, which lasts all day long!
3. Multi-Purpose: Coconut Oil can be used on your body and in the kitchen. Oh, the versatility! When you’re not lathering up in its tropical goodness, try baking with it! Coconut Oil makes for a great butter replacement! For sanitation reasons, I’d suggest having 2 jars of oil—1 for personal use and 1 for the kitchen. You know, to keep things clean.
4. Anti-Fungal: Coconut Oil has even been found to be anti-fungal! Some folks have even had great success using Coconut Oil to cure foot fungus! Others have even used Coconut Oil to clear up acne.
5. UV Protection: Coconut Oil is not a replacement for your everyday sunblock, but it is a good contender! Coconut Oil has been found to block about 20% of UV rays, which is better than most non-sunscreen moisturizers. Although Coconut Oil prevents only a small percentage of UV rays from damaging your skin, it does allow your skin enough exposure in order to produce Vitamin D.
6. Sunburn Relief: Applying Coconut Oil to sunburns is an awesome way to speed up the healing process, which we all know can seem never-ending. Coconut Oil soothes the red, chapped skin and absorbs quickly. Unlike other sunburn soothers, it won’t leave your skin hot and irritated.
7. Shave Bump Savior: The oily goodness in Coconut Oil provides a slick shaving surface that prevents those irritating shave bumps we all
love. Much like shaving cream, Coconut Oil allows the razor to glide over the skin without the cuts and snags.
Why do you love Coconut Oil?
You may also be interested in: 6 Fabulous Beauty Uses for Coconut Oil!