If you have ever suffered from a dry, flaky scalp (eek!), then you know just how irritating it can be. It seems like no matter how much you do OR don’t wash your hair, the pesky dandruff keeps on returning! Does this sound like you? If so, keep reading to discover a few interesting ways to cure your dandruff!
Before we get to the fun stuff, I think we should know what causes dandruff:
- Dry scalp
- Sensitive scalp
- Poor Diet (lacking Zinc & B Vitamins)
- Drying hair products (shampoos, gels, etc.)
These are just a handful of the potential causes of dandruff. So, now that we know a little about what causes dandruff, it’s time we learn how to get rid of it!
6 DIY Remedies
1. Coconut Oil- This magnificent oil works wonders getting rid of any pesky flakes! The coconut oil moisturizes your scalp while creating strong, shiny, healthy hair! To use: rub the coconut oil onto your unwashed, dry scalp. Allow the oil to work its magic for about an hour (or even longer!). After the desired amount of time, use the pads of your fingers to wash the oil off of your scalp. Make sure to use a gentle shampoo that won’t strip all of the oil away!
2. Tea Tree Oil– If rubbing oil all over your scalp just isn’t your thing (it’s not for everyone!), add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo. Again, try to only use shampoos that won’t strip all of the oil from your scalp. If you do enjoy the idea of rubbing coconut oil all over your scalp (I love it!), you can also add a few drops of tea tree oil into the mix!
3. Apple Cider Vinegar– ACV is one of my favorite techniques to use on my dry scalp. The ACV works by changing the pH of your scalp, creating a less than optimal home for the yeast-like fungus that can cause dandruff! To use: Simply mix 3 parts filtered water and 1 part apple cider vinegar. Pour the mixture onto your scalp and massage with the pads of your fingers.
4. Garlic & Honey– I know this sounds stinky, but it’s worth a shot! By mixing a few mashed garlic cloves and a tablespoon or two of honey, you can achieve great results. The garlic works wonders getting rid of dandruff, while the honey creates soft, luxurious hair (not to mention the honey makes the application so much easier!). To use: After combining the two ingredients, massage the mixture onto your scalp for 3-5 minutes. Then, shampoo with your favorite gentle shampoo to wash away the mixture and the garlic smell.
5.Lemon Juice– This has been one of my favorite remedies when it comes to getting rid of dandruff. A friend recommended mixing lemon juice with oil (I prefer olive oil or coconut oil) and to massage the mixture onto your scalp. After a few minutes of this exhilarating massage, I allow the mixture to sit for another 10-15 minutes before shampooing with my Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo.
6. Lifestyle– One of the most important remedies for dandruff is a change of lifestyle. Start by praticing one of these DIY remedies at least 1x per week. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, consuming vital vitamins and nutrients, and remaining stress free. Avoid using any hair products that could be drying out your scalp (shampoos that contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate are a no-no!). Stick to gentle shampoos like Giovanni’s or Everyday Shea products. Most importantly, stay positive! I hope these tips help!
-Peace, love & coconuts!