DIY Housekeeping: Disinfecting Spray
Wait! Before you wipe those counters down, hear me out. Have you ever tried making your own disinfecting spray?
Let me explain.
Common household disinfectants such as Lysol and Fantastik are full of TOXIC chemicals. These toxic chemicals that most of us use on a daily basis to disinfect our living spaces are dangerous to our health and the environment. Think about the last time you had to stick your head out of the window for fresh air while cleaning.
(pause for reflection)
Homemade disinfectant is not only better for your health and for the environment, but for your wallet, as well. Instead of buying 7 different toxic cleaning agents for your home, why not use something more cost effective AND better for you and your family? Just check out some of these amazing benefits these ingredients have to offer:
White Vinegar-Non-toxic, kills most mold, germs and bacteria. Wallet and environment friendly.
Peppermint Oil-Antibacterial and a pest deterrent.
Tea Tree Oil-Antibacterial, antiseptic and antifungal (great for showers!)
Ready to get started?
DIY Disinfecting Spray
What you’ll need:
- 12 ounces water
- 8 ounces white vinegar
- 30 drops peppermint essential oil
- 30 drops tea tree essential oil
In a spray bottle combine the water, vinegar and essential oils. Simply shake the mixture for a few seconds to combine all of the lovely ingredients.
Done shaking? Spray the desired location and allow the mixture to sit for 3 to 5 minutes before wiping away with a clean cloth.
I know what you’re thinking–”What about that terrible vinegar smell??” Well, the smell is greatly masked by the essential oils, so it’s barely noticeable. Plus, vinegar doesn’t smell so bad once you get used to it!
This disinfecting spray can be used anywhere in your home: shower, bathroom, countertops, tables, toys, floors, you name it!
Tips & Tricks:
- Do not mix vinegar with any other chemical as this may result in a toxic combination.
- Do not use vinegar on surfaces such as marble and stoneware. This will result in corrosion.
- Do not use vinegar on waxed surfaces.
Ready to start cleaning the safe way?