Why I Stopped Buying Deodorant…For Good!
About 6 months ago, I stopped buying deodorant. Yes, you read that right! Frankly, I was tired of buying deodorants that didn’t do the job. Traditional deodorants, like Dove or Secret, would wear off within hours, leaving my pits smelling oddly metallic-like and full of sweat (TMI?).
Not to mention, most deodorants are full of chemicals that can have harmful effects on the human body. In fact, it is believed by some that the aluminum in antiperspirants may be linked to breast cancer and Alzheimer’s!
- Cyclopentasiloxane: linked to tumor formation and endocrine disruption in animals
- BHT: may cause cancer, skin, eye, lung irritaion, developmental and organ toxicity
- Propylene Glycol: may cause cancer, reproductive/developmental problems, damages protein/cellular structure of the skin
Can you believe that these are just a few of the chemicals that make up our most common deodorants?!
Now, don’t get me wrong, I have not been walking around completely funky for 6 months. Sheesh! If you remember my post from a few months ago, I simply found another way to meet my deodorizing needs: I started making my own! Not only am I saving money but I no longer have to worry about nasty chemicals or semi-natural deodorants that just weren’t doing the trick (you know who you are!).
With this homemade recipe, I noticed a few exciting tidbits:
- I remain stink-free for 24+ hours, even on the hottest and sweatiest of days (no secret armpit checks required!)
- The armpit area of my shirts no longer have that odd smell after washing or ironing (was that just me?)
- My white shirts no longer have yellow under-arm stains
- My armpits are no longer dry, flaky or irritated! Woohoo!
- I can pronounce every ingredient in my deodorant (even though I still struggle to spell DEODORANT most days!)
- 2 oz of deodorant lasts about 3 months (money-saver, anyone?)
- The deodorant washes away with just soap and water, no scrubbing necessary
Unlike traditional antiperspirants, this deodorant doesn’t block the underarm ducts that release sweat, so expect to sweat. Hey, it’s natural, right?
Click here to read my full recipe and learn how to make your own toxin-free dedorant right in your own kitchen!
Have you tried to go toxin-free with your deodorant? We want to hear all about it below!
Peace, Love & Coconuts!