was successfully added to your cart.

Honey & Epsom Salt Mask for Radiant Skin

By September 12, 2013Beauty, Home, Skin Care

We all have those weeks where our skin just won’t get under control. It’s either dry skin, acne, dark spots, blackheads..the list goes on. Frankly, it’s inevitable. We are all going to suffer from a breakout or two but that doesn’t mean that it’s untreatable! Most skin care issues can be treated right in the comfort of our own kitchen. In fact, you can treat a handful of skincare issues with only honey and epsom salt (you may have to leave the kitchen for the epsom salt). Read on for our simple and effective honey and epsom salt mask DIY recipe!

honey epsom salt mask

Simply said, honey and epsom salt have amazing benefits for skin. What benefits, you ask?:

Honey is

• Antimicrobial (helps destroy the nasty bacteria on your skin)
  • Moisturizing
  • Great for fighting aging (wrinkles/dark spots!) and skin damage
  • Reduces infection/inflammation
  • Soothes irritated/acneic skin

Oh, and Epsom Salt?…

• Flushes toxins from skin
  • Exfoliates dead skin
  • Removes blackheads
  • Cleanses skin
  • Treats acne

So, are you ready to make a wonderful healing mask your skin? For the male readers, this mask isn’t just for the ladies! It will work wonders on your skin, as well!

DIY Honey & Epsom Salt Mask

You’ll need:

• 2 TBSP Honey
  • 2 TBSP Epsom Salt

Mix the honey and epsom salt until well combined. Feel free to add more or less honey or epsom salt. (Both ingredients are super gentle on your skin!). Gently apply the mixture to your face and allow to sit for 30+ minutes. Be prepared for dripping honey! (Keep a towel handy!). Rinse and apply your favorite moisturizer.

Enjoy!

Peace, Love & Coconuts!

-Zeena

hibiscus cleansing grains

Join the discussion 26 Comments

• Naida says:

Can you use sea salt instead?

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Naida! Thanks for the comment!

I would not suggest using sea salt in place of epsom salt. Epsom Salt is essentially Magnesium Sulfate. Magnesium Sulfates works to heal and soothe damaged skin and reduce inflammation. Sea salt can actually dry out your skin whereas epsom salt actually softens it.

I did try a plain sea salt mask before and my skin did not like it at all! But everyone’s skin is different! For this mask, I would definitely suggest using the epsom salt. Plus, you can use leftover salts for foot soaks and pedicures! 🙂

• Kayli Higdon says:

Does the honey need to be pure / 100% natural honey?

• Cristina says:

So, you don’t scrub it? Just put it on let sit for 30 min?

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Cristina,

Yup! Just let the mask sit on your skin. I wouldn’t scrub because the salts may be too rough for the delicate facial skin. Scrubbing may actually do more bad than good! However, if you did want to exfoliate with the epsom salt and honey, I would suggest grinding the salt to make it crystals smaller and more gentle for the face.

🙂 Thanks for commenting!

• John Mangubat says:

Can i keep the extra mixture for another day. Can i keep it in the refrigerator?

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi John, thanks for the comment! Keeping the extra mixture in the fridge for another day or two should be just fine! I wouldn’t keep it past 2 days just in case any bacteria or water was introduced into the mixture. Happy Holidays!

• John Mangubat says:

With that said. is it alright to use this everyday?

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi John,

Depending on your skin sensitivity, this mask would be okay to use everyday. At one point I used it as a nightly spot treatment, as well as a morning and evening mask and my skin loved every last bit! Everyone’s skin is different so see how your skin likes it as an everyday treatment. If necessary you can adjust to more or less! Thanks for the comment! 🙂

• Thank you very much. I hope this helps with my battle with acne. I use this everynight. In the morning i use ACV toner.

• Brown & Coconut says:

We hope it helps, too! We also take probiotics and omega 3’s and those have done wonders, too! Healing from the inside out! How do you like the ACV toner? I tried it once and experienced a horrible breakout overnight. Maybe I should give it another try and dilute it with water.

• I am taking zinc supplement 20mg per day. I have no problems with the ACV toner. been using it for almost a week and i dont get major breakout so far. i dilute it with water. 1(acv):2(water) ratio. I read somewhere in the net that it is not good to use this everynyt coz your skin might get immune and you will not get the effectiveness of the honey mask. Is that idea have grounds?

• Brown & Coconut says:

I don’t think that idea is quite true for all skin treatments. Yes is it possible for some types of skin treatments to become less effective the longer they are used: ie. benzoyl peroxide, etc. Honey, however, is a natural antibacterial/antifungal agent for your skin, not only destroying any bacteria on your skin, but soothing and moisturizing it as well. Since you would only be using the mask 1X/day for only about an hour a day I wouldn’t worry too much about it losing its efficacy. Give the mask a few weeks to see how your skin reacts. 🙂

• John Mangubat says:

can i add some drop of lemon?

• Sammie says:

Is it okay if it’s a scented Epsom salt?

• Brown & Coconut says:

Great question Sammy! Sometimes scented products can irritate the skin depending on how the scent is made or what the scent is derived from. Certainly any artificial fragrances should probably be avoided. If the scent is from natural sources, it should be okay, but we recommend trying a test patch on your skin first.

• […] simple way to take it to the next level! If you’re looking for more than that, check out this really easy Epsom salt face mask that you can […]

• Brandy says:

Do you get the same benefits if you had the lemon to tea with honey?

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi there! We recommend using the epsom salt and honey! Lemon can be irritating on the skin, but your skin may like just honey and tea.