Homemade Deodorant (It works!)

by • June 27, 2013 • 9 Comments

Making all natural, toxin-free deodorant requires nothing more than your average deodorantkitchen ingredients. In fact, I bet if you looked in your kitchen right now you would have more than enough to get started! Making a deodorant (that works!) may seem difficult BUT it super easy and very, VERY effective!

At first I was hesitant with the idea that these ingredients would be able to keep me smelling fresh all day (I even brought a back-up deodorant to work just in case!). But to my surprise, I smelled fresher than when I used my regular deodorant!! FYI: I tested this recipe on a 90 degree day and I still smelled fresh by the time I showered that night. Trust me, if this did not work I wouldn’t have thrown out my backup deodorant!

ingredients

Here’s the simple, step-by-step tutorial:

Recipe:

• 1/3 Cup Corn Starch
  • 1/4 Cup Baking Soda
  • 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
  • 1 TBSP Shea Butter
  • 10 drops Peppermint Oil
  • 1 Container

*recipe is equivalent to 1 deodorant stick

In a medium bowl, combine the corn stach and baking soda.

step 1-1

Mix in the coconut oil and shea butter. Feel free to soften the coconut oil and shea butter for a FEW seconds in the microwave to make it easier to mix in with powders. Add a few shakes of peppermint oil.

step 2

Stir all of the ingredients together until well combined. I used a hand mixer but a whisk or spoon will work well, too!

step 3

Pour the mixture into a small container. I chose a small, screw cap container since the mixture is not exactly solid like other deodorants. Feel free to recycle an old jam jar for your container. Place the deodorant in the refrigerator for 30 mins or until the mixture has solidified.

Depending on the temperature in your home, this deodorant won’t always be solid at room temp. The coconut oil and shea butter naturally soften and/or melt in higher heats. Since it’s the summer here, my mixture was somewhat mushy within the hour but I don’t mind! The consistency is similar to body butter, which I find much easier for application.

*If you are sensitive to baking soda or essential oils try using significantly less then the amounts above. You can also try the recipe without either ingredient. It is best to do a test patch before applying to make sure you aren’t sensitive to any of the ingredients. When applying the deodorant you only need a very small (half of a dime) amount for each armpit.

final productWhat’s your favorite deodorant recipe? Share below!

Peace, love & coconuts!

-Zeena

9 Responses to Homemade Deodorant (It works!)

1. jesslachelle says:

I’ve been making my own deodorant for some time now! My recipe is similar to yours… and I did a blog post on it a while back.
    I need to find a cute container to store it in. ; )
    Thanks for your post!!
    -Jessica

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Jessica! Thanks for the comment! Adding tea tree oil is such a great idea!! I’m thinking about trying some other more “flowery” essential oils for days when I don’t want to smell as minty! I just recycled an old plastic container from a face cream but I also want a cute container (maybe glass?) to store it in! :)

2. I started using an all natural chemical free store bought deodorant recently but even then you can’t be 100% sure about what’s in it. This would be a great alternative for my toxic free deo. :)

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Evie!

We definitely agree! It’s soo nice to know exactly what’s going on our pits! Plus, it’s a great way to save money long term. (not to mention it’s fun to make!) :) Thanks for the comment!

3. […] me wrong, I  have not been walking around completely funky for 6 months. Sheesh! If you remember my post from a few months ago, I simply found another way to meet my deodorizing needs: I started making my […]

4. Kim says:

Hello! I am so thankful for this because I have wanted to find a natural homemade deodorant for a while. Even better, I actually do have all of these ingredients [except the coconut oil, just used the last of it this morning!] I’ve wanted to do this not just to save money but also because most deodorants irritate my skin after a while. I just have a quick question … the peppermint oil could be swapped out for Lavender or Vanilla essential oil, right? I love Lavender scent :]

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Kim! Thank you for your lovely comment! We are so happy this post has been helpful! Deodorants can definitely be irritating so it’s nice to have a safe and gentle alternative!

You can definitely swap out the peppermint oil for Lavender or Vanilla essential oil. Those both sound very soothing! Feel free to use any oil you prefer!

PS: We can completely relate running out of coconut oil! It seems like we run out a few times a month! :) Happy New Year Kim!

• Kim says:

Just wanted to get back to you & let you know that I am in Love with this homemade deodorant! Thank you so much for posting the recipe! I didn’t end up adding the lavender because I honestly like the coconut-y scent on it’s own. A little review … it Actually works! There’s no smelly-ness and it washes away easily …plus, I’m not afraid to touch my pits anymore lol! [I never liked the way regular deodorants felt & the idea of getting those chemicals on my fingers didn't sit right with me. So after putting it on I always felt like my underarms were off limits, no more touching lol] My skin isn’t irritated and I think this will really help keep that skin soft and healthy. I will say though, it doesn’t keep my underarms super dry but I don’t sweat a lot so it’s really not a huge issue. I look forward to putting it to the real test when the warmer months come around. But for now … I am really pleased & plan on keeping this around! Thanks a lot!

• Brown & Coconut says:

Thank you for the beautiful comment Kim! :) We are soo happy you love the deodorant! I completely agree about the scent. Something about the coconut smell is oh-so-tropical. I also love how it washes away so easily! Remember with other deodorants how it would take FOREVER to wash off?! What the heck is up with that?! It’s so true about touching the other deodorants! It leaves this residue on your fingers, but this one just washes right off! It’s true that it won’t keep you 100% sweat-free (I’ll take sweat over smell any day! LOL). I’m sure you are going to love it once the weather heats up!! As a frequent train rider, this deodorant holds up on those crowded-train-in-the-summer-days. haha! Thanks again Kim!

Share your comments!

Custom Wordpress theme by Jeff Roberts Web Design

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: