Favorite Ingredient Friday: Easy Potato-Avocado Soup!
Favorite Ingredient Friday is back so it’s time for a recipe using our favorite ingredient, avocado!
Avocado is creamy and delicious and what better way to use it than in a creamy soup!
This soup is QUICK & EASY! It will make enough for 4 people (less for larger serving sizes and more if served in small portions as an appetizer.)
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 Red Skin Potato (sliced or cubed)
- 1 Ripe Avocado (mashed)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 Portabello Mushroom (chopped) or 4 of a smaller kind (like Button or Cremini, for example)
- 2-3 Bullion Cubes (use less for a lower sodium soup)
- 1 Tsp Coriander
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 1-2 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- Couple Shakes of Cayenne Pepper (I did more because I prefer spicy)
- Dash Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- Dash Ground Black Pepper
- Bring 5½ cups water to a boil, add 2 bullion cubes
- Add sliced potato, boiling until soft
- Add chopped onion and minced garlic, boiling until soft
- Now add mashed avocado, parsley, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, coriander, and lime juice. Puree ingredients to a creamy consistency with a hand pulverizer.
- Add chopped mushrooms
- For added protein, include a scrambled egg or egg white to the soup — cajun style shrimp would also taste yummy!
Taste the soup along the way and feel free to add more or less of a spice to suit your preferences.