Stay Fit During Summer!
We all know the delicious comfort foods served at barbecues, the slush and ice cream on hot days, the yummy summer cocktails, and countless desserts celebrating summer events can have an effect on our waistlines.
There are some key things we can do to enjoy summer and all it has to offer, while staying fit and healthy!
Summer is a great season to enjoy so I want to show you how to do it the RIGHT way. I am a firm believer in making good choices, but no one says you can’t enjoy yourself. It’s all about HOW you enjoy yourself.
Stay fit during summer with these tips & techniques…
- Portion control. It’s easy to overload your plate at cookouts. Pick up a smaller sized plate. You won’t be able to pile on as much that way.
- At cookouts, make sure your plate is colorful, choosing lots of fresh fruits and veggies. You will get fuller, faster and are more likely to forgo seconds.
- Eat your fruits and veggies first, this way you will start getting full from the fiber/water content and will potentially eat less of everything else on your plate. You can also try drinking a glass of water before your meal to help curb your appetite.
- At a BBQ, watch the condiments. Calories in condiments can add up quickly, like using 1/2 a bottle of BBQ sauce or ketchup, for example.
- Enjoy a cocktail/beer or two, but don’t go crazy. These alcoholic drinks just add empty calories, not to mention, too much alcohol is hard on your body and can sabotage your health/fitness goals.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated, especially during the hot days. Dehydration often causes us to overeat because your body doesn’t know the difference between thirst and hunger.
- Participate in physical activities, if you can. Swimming, outdoor sports, hiking, and bike riding, for example, are all perfect ways to enjoy the weather and squeeze in a great workout to keep you fit during summer.
- It’s fine to OCCASIONALLY indulge in a summer treat like slush, ice cream, or other sweets, but always get the smallest size possible. Watch the toppings and don’t treat yourself every day. Once in a while is fine, but if you are craving something sweet, opt for fresh fruit. Chilled pineapple, watermelon, and other fresh fruits are refreshing and satisfying. Try retraining yourself to crave these instead of manmade treats by detoxing your taste-buds.
- Don’t forget to wear sunscreen to protect yourself from the suns harmful rays.
What do you do to stay fit during summer?
Check us out on Facebook!