So many facial cleansers, moisturizers, and masks exist that it can be confusing to find the one that is right for your skin. Just because a facial product claims to be “natural”, does not mean it will not wreak havoc on your face. When shopping for a facial cleanser I pay attention to 3 things:
- The cost
- The so-called “claim” of the product
- THE INGREDIENTS
Cleansers such as Clean & Clear and Neutrogena are filled with harmful agents that can cause long-term negative health effects as well as short-term skin care issues. This does not mean, “natural” skin products are in the clear. Almost every product you use deserves a second look at the ingredients. When I find a product I love, I incessantly look at the ingredients, which is why it’s easy for my sisters and me to spend hours in the natural health store.
I want to be able to look at a product and understand the role of each ingredient and their reason for adding it. It’s impossible to know EVERY single ingredient out there but there are a few that you should most definitely avoid. If you see a product with these ingredients return it, trash it, and find a skin care product that will treat your skin with the TLC it deserves!
Here’s the list of 10 ingredients to most certainly AVOID:
1. Parabens (ethyl-, methyl-, propyl-, isopropyl-, butyl- or isobutyl)
- a preservative used to extend shelf life and prevent the growth of microbes
- effects hormones, may reduce sperm count/testosterone in men, cause early menstruation in women, may be a carcinogen
2. Sulfates (Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth or Lauryl Sulfate)
- detergent and surfactant
- may cause skin rashes/eye infections, depression, diarrhea
3. Diethanaolamine (DEA), Monoethanolamine (MEA), Triethanolamine (TEA)
- foaming agent/emulsifier
- skin/eye irritant, may affect brain and body function, cause dry skin, may cause liver and kidney cancer
4. DMDM Hydantion/Urea
- releases formaldehyde resulting in headaches, skin reactions, dizziness, joint pain, chest pain, dermatitis, fatigue, and ear infections
5. Sodium Benzoate-
- morphs into the cancer-causing agent “benzene” when mixed with Vitamin C.
6. Propylene Glycol-
- skin conditioning agent or “surfactant” that penetrates quickly the also found in Anti-Freeze
- may cause cancer, reproductive/developmental problems, damages protein/cellular structure of the skin
7. FD&C or D&C Color Pigments-
- synthetic coloring that leaves toxins on the skin
- may cause cancer, nausea, headaches, mood changes,
8. Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
- strips skin of sebum (oil)
- may cause kidney damage
9. Isopropyl/Ethyl Alcohol
- strip the skin of its natural moisture may cause headaches, nausea, diarrhea, depression
- not to be confused with cetyl alcohol which is an emollient derived from coconuts
- may contain hidden ingredient “phthalate” that may affect reproductive organs and development of children
Next time your shopping for a facial moisturizer, mask, or cleanser keep these ingredients in mind. It may take some time but look for products that are labeled as SLS/Paraben/Fragrance/Color free, but your body will thank you!
Peace, Love & Coconuts!
‘Like’ us on Facebook!