Top 10 Skin Care Ingredients to Avoid…(like the plague)
So many facial cleansers, moisturizers, and masks exist that it can be confusing to find the one that is right for your skin. Just because a facial product claims to be “natural”, does not mean it will not wreak havoc on your face. When shopping for a facial cleanser I pay attention to 3 things:
- The cost
- The so called “claim” of the product
- THE INGREDIENTS
Cleansers such as Clean & Clear and Neutrogena are filled with harmful agents that can cause long-term negative health effects as well as short-term skin care issues. This does not mean, “natural” skin products are in the clear. Almost every product you use deserves a second look at the ingredients. When I find a product I love, I incessantly look at the ingredients, which is why it’s easy for my sisters and I to spend hours in the natural health store.
I want to be able to look at a product and understand the role of each ingredient and their reason for adding it. It’s impossible to know EVERY single ingredient out there but there are a few that you should most definitely avoid. If you see a product with these ingredients return it, trash it, and find a skin care product that will treat your skin with the TLC it deserves!
Here’s the list of 10 ingredients to most certainly AVOID:
1. Parabens (ethyl-, methyl-, propyl-, isopropyl-, butyl- or isobutyl)
- preservative used to extend shelf life and prevent growth of microbes
- effects hormones, may reduce sperm count/testosterone in men, cause early menstruation in women, may be a carcinogen
2. Sulfates (Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth or Lauryl Sulfate)
- detergent and surfactant
- may cause skin rashes/eye infections, depression, diarrhea
3. Diethanaolamine (DEA), Monoethanolamine (MEA), Triethanolamine (TEA)
- foaming agent/emulsifier
- skin/eye irritant, may affect brain and body function, cause dry skin, may cause liver and kidney cancer
4. DMDM Hydantion/Urea
- releases formaldehyde resulting in headaches, skin reactions, dizziness, joint pain, chest pain, dermatitis, fatigue, and ear infections
5. Sodium Benzoate-
- morphs into the cancer causing agent “benzene” when mixed with Vitamin C.
6. Propylene Glycol-
- skin conditioning agent or “surfactant” that penetrates quickly the also found in Anti-Freeze
- may cause cancer, reproductive/developmental problems, damages protein/cellular structure of the skin
7. FD&C or D&C Color Pigments-
- synthetic coloring that leaves toxins on skin
- may cause cancer, nausea, headaches, mood changes,
8. Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
- strips skin of sebum (oil)
- may cause kidney damage
9. Isopropyl/Ethyl Alcohol
- strip the skin of its natural moisture, may cause headaches, nausea, diarrhea, depression
- not to be confused with cetyl alcohol which is an emollient derived from coconuts
- may contain hidden ingredient “phthalate” that may affect reproductive organs, and development of children
Next time your shopping for a facial moisturizer, mask, or cleanser keep these ingredients in mind. It may take some time but look for products that are labeled as SLS/Paraben/Fragrance/Color free, but your body will thank you!
So, what do I used to stay chemical free?
- Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo
- Conditioner: Giovanni EO Lavender Conditioner
- Deep Conditioner: Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner
- Leave-in: Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner
- Lotion: JR Watkins Hand and Body Lotion Lemon Creme
- Deodorant: Adama Minerals Clay Dry Deodorant Original
Peace, Love & Coconuts!
‘Like’ us on Facebook!