Flaxseed Hair Gel

by • March 12, 2013 • 14 Comments

Flaxseed hair gel is absolutely AMAZING. I made a small batch last night to test it outcurls1 and my hair has never felt so soft! It is so easy to make and is a much better alternative to other hair gels full of chemicals and alcohol (yuck!). I will definitely be making this gel more often, especially when I start to run out of my other leave-ins.

Benefits:

• VERY soft hair
  • Well-defined curls
  • Easy to style hair
  • Shiny hair
  • No residue
  • Voluminous hair
  • Clean, fresh smell
  • Easy to make
  • CHEAP!!

gel1

Flax Seed Hair Gel Recipe

• 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup flax seeds
  • 1 drop rosemary essential oil
  • 1 tsp. olive oil

Bring 1 cup of water to a rapid boil. Add ½ cup of flaxseeds, stirring frequently.

photo1

Allow flaxseeds to boil for 5-7 minutes, or until a white mucus-looking layer forms on the top. The goal is to form a gel like consistency.

photo 2-2

Remove from heat and use a strainer to separate flaxseeds from gel. This may take some time but be patient and use a spoon to help push the gel through the strainer.

photo 3-1

Once strained, add your oils. I added olive oil for a bit of moisture, as well a drop of rosemary essential oil to promote hair growth.

photo 4-1

Allow to cool for a few hours. I let mine cool overnight. The gel should last you 1 week but may last longer with other essential oils.

*Yields ¾ gel or enough for 1 use

photo-16 photo-15

I loved the results!! My curls are super bouncy and feel amazing. Definitely give this recipe a try!

Peace, Love & Coconuts

-Zeena

‘LIKE’ us on Facebook!

14 Responses to Flaxseed Hair Gel

1. [...] Use Leave-ins! Leave-in conditioners are my lifesaver. I always make sure to put a leave-in in my hair after shampooing and conditioning. Even if I plan on throwing my hair in a bun, I know that my hair is moisturized by the leave-in. Stay away from those mousses and gels with alcohol, which only dry out your hair. If I do feel like using a gel, I make my own flaxseed hair gel! [...]

2. Moongal says:

I may have to try this! My hair is just like yours and it’s great to find a blog that I can relate to! How often do you get trims or shape?

Great blog, keep up the good work!

• Brown & Coconut says:

Thank you for the wonderful comment! It’s nice to have people who truly enjoy our blog! And I tend to trim my own hair on an “as needed” basis, essentially when I notice my ends are dry or dead. As for shaping, I don’t really shape my hair, I just let my hair grow, these curls just have a mind of their own anyway! :D

• Moongal says:

You’re welcome! I’ve learned that it’s best to let Conchita (my hair) go wild!..lol.

3. Moongal says:

One more question..did you refrigerate your gel? I’ve seen other blogs that mentioned putting it in the fridge to preserve it longer. I

4. nadine johnson says:

What do you use in your flaxseed gel as a presevent?

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Nadine, great question! I don’t use a preservative in the flaxseed gel. I simply refrigerate in between uses. I only make enough for a few uses and the gel typically lasts about a week or so. :)

5. Amy Matthews says:

what are your thoughts on using flaxseed oil? i have 3 bottles of the capsules just sitting around my house and was thinking maybe add it to some aloe gel ooor coconut oil??

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Amy!
      Adding flaxseed oil to aloe vera gel is a fantastic idea! It will definitely give you that “gel-like” consistency for when you style your hair. This mix would be very similar to the flax seed gel, although the flax seed gel may be much more slimy! Mixing the flaxseed oil with coconut oil would be a great way to moisturize or deep condition your hair. Definitely try both methods and let us know what you think! I have always wanted to try aloe vera gel in my hair! :D

• Carolyn says:

Can I add Aloe Vera to already made Flax Seed Gel?

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Carolyn!

Ooh, adding aloe vera sounds like a great idea–especially since the consistencies are so similar! Feel free to add as much as you’d like! :)

Thanks for commenting!

6. Your hair is beautiful!!

Thanks for the easy to follow step-by-step instructions. (brief history) I’m just 8 months post BC with curly & coily hair with tons of shrinkage. I only do wash & go’s & use only a leave-in then seal my ends. I hate gels and jellies because of the way they make my hair feel (just very un-natural). However, I am desperately looking for a natural product that will allow my W&G to last longer than 1 or 2 days.

My questions are: 1). Does the flax seed gel give any crunch? And if so, is there a way to reduce it? 2). Should it be applied to wet, damp or dry hair? 3). Should it be used with or without my leave-in?

• Brown & Coconut says:

Thank you for sharing your lovely hair story and for the compliment Wanda! To answer your questions:

1. Flax Seed Gel does leave a bit of crunch in your hair, very similar to other gels. But, it is very easy to “de-crunch” your hair after it dries. I just bunch my hair in an upward motion until it feels soft again. To reduce the crunch, I think mixing in some aloe vera gel or oils (olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, essential oils..) with the gel may help with that. Also, you could try only using a small amount at first to see how crunchy it gets.
      2. I like to apply the Flax Seed Gel to wet hair because once my hair is dry..there is no going back lol. It is too difficult to apply gel to my dry hair so I prefer applying it to wet hair (not too wet) where I can make sure every strand gets some love!
      3. I haven’t tried using a leave in with the Flax Seed Gel. But you may get some good results! I typically apply the Flax Seed Gel then seal the ends of hair with either olive oil or coconut oil.

Its fun to experiment with the Flax Seed Gel to see what your hair likes best! I would love to hear what your results are Wanda!!

Have you tried using any curl refreshers to refresh your curls? (We have a post coming up tomorrow on our favorite curl refreshers–stay tuned!)

Thanks for commenting! :)

Share your comments!

Custom Wordpress theme by Jeff Roberts Web Design

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: