coconut, coconut soup, creamy, delicious, healthy soup, homemade soups, quick and easy soup recipe, quick and easy soups, soup, sweet potato, sweet potato soup, sweet potato turmeric soup, sweet potatoes, thick, tumeric, turmeric, turmeric soup, yummy
I came up with a recipe for a delicious Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup! I had extra sweet potatoes hanging around and I have been looking to incorporate more Turmeric into my diet as it has soo many health benefits!
The soup came out thick & creamy, not to mention yummy!
Note: This recipe only makes a about 2 servings so just double it if you are looking to feed more!
Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup! (Dairy-Free!)
1 cup water
1 vegetable bullion cube
1 cup soy milk
1 cup mashed Sweet potato, Yams, pumpkin purée, or Butternut Squash. (You could even do a combination of white potatoes & carrots
1 tbsp turmeric
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp crushed basil
Black pepper to taste
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste (I like it spicy!)
- Fill a pot about ½ to ⅔ of the way with water & set to boil. Take your sweet potatoes, wash, peel, then chop them into cubes. Add them to your boiling water & cook until soft.
- Remove sweet potatoes from water & place in bowl to be mashed. You can use a manual masher or an electric beater. Save about 1 cup of the water you boiled your sweet potatoes in & pour out the rest. Add your bullion cube to this water & boil until the cube dissolves. Now add the mashed sweet potatoes to the pot & stir. Turn your heat on medium to low just to let your soup simmer as you continue to cook.
- Whisk in 1 cup of soy milk (next time I make this I want to try using coconut milk!)
- Now add 1 tbsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp crushed basil, a few dashes of crushed red pepper flakes, & ground black pepper
- Let simmer together for 1 – 2 minutes then remove from heat. Let sit for another 1-2 minutes to let the flavors really combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
- I topped the soup off with a garnish of coconut flakes & crushed red pepper.
- Use any of these vegetables in place of the sweet potato! (Recipe & Directions stay the same)
- Butternut Squash
- White Potatoes
Quick Nutritional Facts:
Makes 2 Servings
- Calories (per serving): 193
- Carbohydrates: 36 grams
- Fat: 3 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
- Sodium: 596 mg (a little high so you could try using reduced sodium vegetable bullion)
- Sugar: 12 grams (2 grams from the soy milk & the rest is naturally occurring from the sweet potato)
Let me know what you guys think! Would love your feedback!
P.S: Don’t forget to ‘LIKE’ Brown & Coconut on Facebook!