Castor Oil for Hair Growth

by • February 25, 2013 • 63 Comments

Okay so let me just say that at first I was hesitant about using castor oil for hair growth. I began using it a few years ago as a moisturizer and as a part of my deep conditioner but never solely for hair growth. The idea that one oil could actually promote growth seemed a bit absurd and impossible.

castor oil for hair growth 1

But…let me just say…
Castor Oil
is AMAZING!!

A month ago I overwaxed my eyebrows to the 9th degree. I love my thick brows so I was a bit bummed out. :( I decided to let them grow out but was very impatient…

Fast forward a day or so and I recalled reading about Castor Oil as method for hair growth. I have a bottle of Heritage Store Castor Oil (about $9) so I thought “why not??” I lathered up my brows a few hours before bed, around 7pm. By the time I washed my face around 10pm the oil was mostly absorbed.

I had planned on using the oil every night for a month, but lets be frank, I forgot. I ended up putting castor oil on my brows about 3 times a week for a month.

That month is now up and I am so pleased with the results!!

Castor Oil for Hair Growth Results:

Before 1/15/13 (first application of castor oil)

castor oil for hair growth 2

After 2/15/13

castor oil for hair growth 3

My brows are so much thicker now and are filled in where I struggled to grow hair before using castor oil!

I am so happy with my results that I will continue to use castor oil for hair growth on my brows and on my roots!! I am definitely going to stock up on bottles online since its much cheaper there than in stores.

I can’t wait to report on my continued results! :D Castor oil is a miracle hair grower in a bottle!

Note: Be sure to only use cold pressed, pure castor oil.

If you’d like to purchase a bottle, click here!

-Peace, Love, & Coconuts….& castor oil!! ;)

-Zeena

63 Responses to Castor Oil for Hair Growth

1. LifeOfKSong says:

Amazing!
    When I had my long hair once a week I would do a castor oil hair treatment and sleep with it in (with a shower cap on) and it always made my hair so thick & beautiful!!

• Brown & Coconut says:

Castor Oil is amazing isn’t it?? That’s a great idea you mentioned, applying castor oil and sleeping with a shower cap! Have to try that!!

2. Julianna says:

Where do I get it!!!!!!

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Julianna! You can get Castor Oil at Whole Foods for around $8-$9. But you may be able to find it cheaper here on Amazon and here on Soap.com :)

• Julianna says:

Thanks! and how would I apply it if I wanted to do my roots? I have really long hair.

• Brown & Coconut says:

There are two ways we suggest you can add the oil to you hair.

Method 1: Flip your head/hair upside down and apply castor oil to your finger tips, then slide them into you hair by your head and gently massage the castor oil into your scalp.

Method 2: Use a pointed-tip applicator which is available online or at any beauty supply store. Put the castor oil in this bottle and apply it directly to your roots almost like when you are dying your hair and squeezing the hair dye onto your hair from that little bottle that comes in the box.

The amount of oil you add is going to depend on when you are going to do the castor oil treatments. If you will be doing them at a time when you will be taking a shower soon after (for example at night if you tend to shower in the morning) then applying more castor oil is fine. Just be sure to wrap your hair/head in a satin bonnet (also available at beauty supply stores) so you don’t get any castor oil on your pillow or face.

If you are going to do the castor oil treatments at a time when you may not be showering right away, then apply less so you don’t get that greasy un-showered look.

3. i wanna grow my eyebrow as it is not very thick.. is it work? and where can i buy online since I don no where should i get from

• Brown & Coconut says:

Castor oil is amazing and has done wonders for our eyebrows! Just apply a good amount directly to your eyebrows everyday and you should start seeing a difference within a few days, but it could take anywhere from a month to a few months to reach full results. It can be purchased online at Vitacost.com , soap.com, amazon.com, vitaminshop.com. You can also purchase it at whole foods or other natural health food stores :)

4. [...] the castor oil from Whole Foods called Hertitage Store Castor Oil. You can see my results here: Castor Oil for Hair Growth | Good luck! Castor oil is really [...]

5. [...] Hair? Oil your scalp with Castor Oil for thicker hair within [...]

6. Tania says:

Hey

Should you mix / warm / dilute the castor oil with any other oils or should you use the castor oil directly also should the castor oil be processed or unprocessed?

Thanks
    Tania

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Tania, great question!
      The castor oil should be applied directly to the desired area, undiluted. We used “cold pressed” castor oil which preserves the nutritional quality of the oil. When heat is used to extract the oil from castor seeds, the nutritional properties and flavor is reduced.

7. brod says:

is cartor oil for laxative and castor oil for hair grow is the same?pls reply asap ..thanks

• Brown & Coconut says:

Yes, the same castor oil that can be used for hair growth can have a laxative effect if ingested. Proper caution should be used with any laxatives.

8. anitasjohn says:

Hey thank you so much for this article. I wanted to ask whether using any shampoo after application of castor oil to my hair will be fine??

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Anita! Great question!
      Any shampoo should do the trick. We prefer natural/chemical free shampoo but this isn’t always best for someone who may have a ton of buildup on their hair from other products. Pure castor oil is typically pretty easy to wash out but, depending on how thick of an application you did, or if the castor oil wasn’t pure castor oil, shampooing alone may not do the job the first time. In this case, you can try co-washing before you shampoo. Always be sure you are using 100% pure/cold pressed castor oil. Hope this helps! :)

9. Buy Auravie says:

I like what you guys are usually up too. This kind of clever work and coverage!
    Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to our blogroll.

10. Ragu says:

****** Hi, will this even work out if we lose hair due to heridity issues.

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Ragu, great question! We have not tried castor oil for hereditary hair loss but there is no harm in trying! Based on our research there seems to be mixed findings as to whether castor oil has any benefits for this type of hair loss. Some have had positive results, while others have not. If you do try castor oil, please report back with your findings! :)

11. Nikki Cho says:

Hi do you know if I can apply castor oil on my hair everyday? Possibly even twice a day?

• Nikki Cho says:

Also can castor oil be applied to eyelashes? On the bottle it says to avoid the eyes but I hear that it can be applied on the eyelashes but I’m not so sure. Thanks!

• Brown & Coconut says:

When using castor oil it is important to use the highest quality, cold pressed castor oil. Also, be sure to test areas on your skin before applying to ensure you are not sensitive to castor oil. I imagine the bottle says to avoid the eyes to ensure that users do not get castor oil into their eyes, causing irritation. If applying castor oil to you eyelashes, be certain it doesn’t get into you eyes. Also, castor oil can cause shedding of the hair and eyelashes in some people. Use with caution and only do treatments for a few weeks at a time, then take a break.

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Nikki! You may certainly apply castor oil twice a day!

12. cm123 says:

Great article! Castor oil works excellently for growing hair but I have heard rather read online that castor oil is good for skin also like removing marks etc.. my question is wont also grow if I apply it on other body parts espclly face??

• Brown & Coconut says:

Glad you enjoyed it! And that is a great question!

Castor oil does help to promote hair growth but it doesn’t grow hair in places that you aren’t genetically predisposed to grow hair. So for example, everyone has barely noticeable peach fuzz on their face but using castor oil on your face will not suddenly cause you to grow a beard. However, if you are someone who tends to grow 1 or 2 random dark chin hairs, then yes it may cause those 1 or 2 hairs to grow back more quickly, but again, it’s not going to cause you to grow hair that you wouldn’t normally grow, genetically speaking.

Hope this helps!

13. Jacquie O. says:

How long should i use castrol oil on my hair for hair growth & any good hair care tips !

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Jacquie! I used castor oil on my eyebrows for about 1 month until I saw significant improvement in my growth. For your hair I would suggest using castor oil a few times a week while documenting your progress. (I find taking pics to be the most helpful!). You should start seeing results within a month or so. In our other post, How to Promote Hair Growth and Retain Length you will find some great hair care tips! Keep us posted on your journey with castor oil! :)

14. Batty says:

Hi- I have been reading a bit on ways to stimulate hair growth- have been loosing hair due to stress and have read that scalp massages with essential oils is a wonderful way to promote growth. My question is- can I add rosemary and other essential oils to the castor to help my hair loss/promote growth? Thanks!

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Betty! Thanks for the comment! Adding rosemary or other essential oils to your castor oil sounds like a lovely idea! (I’m going to try that!) As I’m sure you read, rosemary essential oil is great for stimulating hair growth. This would work wonderfully with the castor oil as the ‘carrier oil’. You do not need to use the castor oil full strength in order to see results. Try the essential oils and see what your scalp likes. :) Can’t wait to hear what your results are!

15. sarala says:

i used castor oil on my eyebrows but hair are falling instead of growing. Does it mean castor oil doesn’t suit to me??

• Brown & Coconut says:

There could be a number of reasons this happened and the castor oil could certainly be one of possibilities. Do you remember which type/brand of castor oil you used? Was it cold or heat pressed?

16. Mahesh says:

HEY Guys,I tried castor oil today morning.
    Procedure what i followed : applied oil just for hair not the scalps and waited for 30 mins and took bath – used soap.
    i feel good n very tightly packed hair now…
    please suggest some other way to get full benefits from castor oil.

Hi Mahesh,
      Thanks for the comment! We would suggest trying castor oil on your scalp as well. This can help stimulate hair growth. When you shampoo it out, make sure you condition your hair, since the shampoo can strip your hair of its moisture. Another great way to use castor oil is as a part of homemade body scrub or body butter. For the scrub, try mixing castor oil, lemon, honey and sugar to the desired consistency. Use this mix to exfoliate any dead skin cells off your body (be careful if you use this on your face as the sugar may be too rough!) For the body butter, try mixing the castor oil with shea butter or another oil like coconut oil or olive oil for baby soft skin! Let us know how you like these other uses!

17. Amy says:

Can you recommend a brand that is the highest quality, cold pressed castor oil that is available at whole foods/trader joes or online?

Hi Amy,
      Thanks for the comment!
      For the highest quality, cold pressed castor oil we would recommend the Heritage Store brand. This brand offers high quality, cold pressed, chemical free castor oil. They also offer organic castor oil as well. We currently purchase our Heritage Store castor oil from Whole Foods. You can also pick up a bottle online here, and here. If your going to purchase it online we would definitely recommend vitacost since they offer better discounts. Hope this helps! :)

18. shrey says:

can i use castor oil for growing my beard faster

• Brown & Coconut says:

Great question Shrey! You most certainly can. Just be sure to exfoliate your face/chin well to keep your pores clear and to allow for better penetration of the castor oil.

19. leslie says:

Hi can I sleep w/ massages castor oil on my head/hairr and wash it of in the morning

Hi Leslie,

Yes! You can definitely sleep with castor on your scalp and hair. In fact, I prefer to sleep with the oil on my hair since it’s hard to wear it throughout the day (especially since it gives your hair that greasy look). It’s also great that your hair gets to soak up all that lovely oil for about 8 hours! After you wash it out, we recommend doing an apple cider vinegar rinse (water + ACV) in order to close the cuticle of the hair and promote shine. :) Thanks for the comment!

20. angelnz says:

Ooooohhhhh. Love this post. I shall share my “blend”. Due to the castor oil being so thick it can “tug” a bit, resulting in sometimes pulling out precious hair, soo its always a good idea to thin it out with another oil. The best in my opinion is coconut oil, because it has amazing properties for hair growth and repair, its pretty much the perfect combination. Coconut oil is solid, but putting it in a container and puting the container in hot water will liquify it, my blend is half coconut and half castor oil, in it I also add a few drops of lavender, rosemary and ylang ylang essential oils which are also hair growth promoting oils. When I use it, every second day, I drop my dropper bottle into hot water and wait for it to all melt, then I am getting a warm oil scalp treatment, that smells yummy.

• Brown & Coconut says:

Adding coconut oil and essential oils is a great idea! Nothing like giving your hair that extra care! The scalp massages are a great way to stimulate that hair growth! :) Thanks for sharing!

21. Swathi45 says:

My hair so thin when i was in school days. can i apply it castor oil everday? please reply

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi there! Yes, you can definitely apply castor oil every day! Your hair may appear a bit greasy throughout the day but that can be easily fixed with an up-do hairstyle or even a cute hat! Make sure you are cleansing your scalp often if you do use it everyday. That will help remove any build up the castor oil/other products may leave behind. Thanks for the comment! Good luck with the castor oil! :)

22. mariacriz says:

helo there..just wanna ask if which is more effective for my thin eyebrow, coconut oil or castor oil?..i know that they are both useful in hair growing but i do not know which should be use for my eyebrow..thank you..

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Maria! Thanks for the comment! When it comes to the brows, we definitely suggest using castor oil. Castor oil helps stimulate hair growth, while coconut oil may not have the same effect. Coconut oil also has the potential to clog your pores which can ultimately lead to acne. We suggest using coconut oil as a moisturizer for dry, itchy skin and/or dry, damaged hair. Let us know your results! :)

• mariacriz says:

can i also use castor oil for my lashes?..i’ll update you for any changes if there is..thank you very much for your quick response..

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Maria! Yes, but be careful to not get any in your eyes! We would recommend buying disposable mascara wands to use as your applicator. Apply a very small amount of castor oil to your lashes. Be sure you wash your face thoroughly to avoid any clogged pores! :)

• mariacriz says:

i will..can i apply it at night and sleep with it?..thank you again..more power..^_^

• Brown & Coconut says:

Yes, at night will be fine. :) Good luck Maria! Come back and give us an update to let us know how it is going!

23. RT says:

What area of the store will castor oil be located? I would imagine in the vitamins section? I just want to make sure I know where to look when I go in the store. Thanks.

• Brown & Coconut says:

Great question RT — If you’re purchasing at whole foods, it’s located in the aisle where they have sleep aids, lip balms, natural feminine care, and ointments. That’s assuming all Whole Foods are arranged the same way. If it’s not there, also check the health and beauty aisle as they will often have other oils there too. Good luck!

24. james says:

I too am trying out castor oil on my thinning hair, hoping to have good results. I thought I would chime in on people asking if you can use it on your eyelashes. I recently had a chalazion on my lower eyelid that I was being treated for by my ophthalmologist and medicine was not working. They told me it would prob never go away and that they would have to scrape it out from inside the eyelid. So I turned to the internet for natural solutions. Can u gess what it was? Yep, castor oil rubbed into my eyelid. It is apparantly safe in the eyes, you can even get castor oil eye drops. Did it work? Yep, chalazion is gone.

• Brown & Coconut says:

Wow James!! That is truly amazing! It’s so awesome to hear that natural solutions are working for people when some doctors think there is no hope!! Not to mention, using castor oil sounds much less painful and expensive! How long did you have to use the castor oil on your eyelid? Did you notice instant relief? With results like that, we are SURE you will have phenomenal results with using castor oil for thinning hair. :)

25. Fabienne says:

Hi,
    Thiis is very interesting, thank you for all the tips, I am actually pregnant, can still use castor oil on my hair and my scalp to help them grow as well as get them healthier as they are very dry? thank you for your help,
    Fabienne

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Fabienne! Thank you for your comment. Castor oil is known to induce labor when ingested by pregnant women, so to be on the safe side, I would suggest consulting your physician before using it topically. All the best! :)

26. stacy says:

I started using Castor oil on my head about 5 weeks ago..I use coconut oil as a carrier. I mixed half & half. Just in those 5 weeks my hair grew almost an longer. My hair is very thin on top but I can feel new growth & my hair looks fuller. I do a treatment at least 3-4 times a week, I leave it on over night. I use an all natural shampoo that I got at a health food store for fine thin hair which is full of vitamins.
    I’ve tried so many other treatments & got either little results or none at all. This is so easy & very inexpensive I highly recommend it! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi Stacy! Your results sound truly amazing!! We are so happy to hear that this has worked for you. Your consistency with the castor oil has proved to be beneficial to your hair growth! What shampoo did you get? We’d love to try it! Thank you for such a lovely comment!! :D

• stacy says:

JASON is the name of it so far I’ve only found it on his website & health food stores. Makes hair squeaky clean & has a nice clean smell!!!

Ooh we’ve seen that brand in Whole Foods! Thanks Stacy! Can’t wait to try!! :D

27. stacy says:

My hair grew almost an inch longer. Sorry bout the typo

28. John says:

Hello, im a male and ive been trying the JBCO to help grow my hair in the front, now I’ve only been using it about two weeks, and I’ve been noticing a lot of shedding, I feel as if my hair is falling out faster than before using it. I really want to know if this is maybe just a phase or if it’s better if I leave it altogether.

• Brown & Coconut says:

Hi John, Shedding while using castor oil is not uncommon. Many people have reported noticing an increase in the amount of hair they are shedding, so it may not be for everyone. Others have noticed experiencing shedding only while using JBCO and not the clear, cold pressed castor oil. How often are you applying the castor oil and how vigorous is your application? Using just the pads of your fingers and not your nails is great for rubbing in the oil without too much friction. Also try reducing how often you apply the oil. Make sure you wash your scalp a few times a week to remove any build up of the oil. Try giving your scalp a break for a few days and see what you notice. Also try switching castor oils to the cold pressed one (available at Whole Foods) to see if that makes a difference. We hope this helps John!

Share your comments!

Custom Wordpress theme by Jeff Roberts Web Design

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: